100 of the best songs for your wedding day
Choosing the best music for your wedding day is an important task, but for some, it can prove quite daunting to have to collate a collection of music that you like personally but which will also please your friends and family.
Music is one of the key components in creating atmosphere, so selecting a variety of songs that suit your venue and help facilitate the mood you’re hoping to cultivate is essential.
Here are 100 of the most popular wedding songs to help inspire each part of your wedding day, from the ceremony and reception drinks through to wedding breakfast, first dance and the all-important party.
Your wedding ceremony is without a doubt the most personal part of your wedding day, so it is important to choose music that means something to you both.
The acoustics in the East Barn at Upwaltham lend themselves perfectly to a romantic, classical harpist, string duet, or acoustic guitar or for something more contemporary a saxophonist also works really well.
Alternatively, you can use our sound system to play the song you’ll both remember for accompanying this life-changing moment.
20 timeless ceremony songs perfect for a romantic entrance
1. Canon in D Major – Pachelbel Orchestra
2. Bella’s Lullaby – Carter Burwell, Dan Redfeld and Elizabeth Hedman
3. Make You Feel My Love – ADELE
4. I’m Kissing You – Des’ree
5. The Secret Wedding (From “Braveheart”) – David Arkenstone featuring Kathleen Fisher
6. Better Together – Jack Johnson
7. Everybody’s Free (To Feel Good) – Quindon Tarver
8. The Way You Look Tonight – Tony Bennett
9. Across the Stars (From “Episode II: Attack of the Clones”) – John Williams
10. The Prince of Denmark’s March (Trumpet Voluntary In D Major) – Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Christian Rainer
11. A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
12. My Lover’s Prayer – Otis Redding
13. From This Moment On – Shania Twain & Bryan White
14. Claire De Lune – Claude Debussy
15. A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
16. I Knew I Loved You – Savage Garden
17. All Of Me – John Legend
18. When You Love a Woman – Journey
19. Kisses and Cake – John Powell
20. How Long Will I Love You – Ellie Goulding
The Drinks Reception
With the romance of your wedding ceremony lingering in the air, guests will likely enjoy a combination of relaxed, sultry and acoustic music for the drinks reception, which gradually builds in energy as drinks start to flow and chatter begins to rise.
Weather permitting, many couples hold their drinks reception in the courtyard at Upwaltham Barns. With a ready-made stage area and electrical supply this is a perfect place for musicians to entertain your guests, if you choose to include live music.
If you are looking for something more interactive, great choices include a roaming musician (saxophones are a popular choice) or even a steel pannist! For Jazz fans, a jazz singer or performing jazz trio is always a winner to get everyone’s toes tapping.
20 mood-inducing reception songs perfect for setting the tone
1. Wouldn’t It Be Nice – The Beach Boys
2. Viva La Vida – Coldplay
3. Time Of Your Life – Greenday
4. Sweet Disposition – Temper Trap
5. Love Me Like You Do – Ellie Goulding
6. Our House – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
7. I Heard It Through The Grapevine – Marvin Gaye
8. Feeling Good – Nina Simone
9. Blackbird – The Beatles
10. “It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over,” Lenny Kravits
11. Fly Me To The Moon – Frank Sinatra
12. Sweetest Thing,” by U2
13. L.O.V.E – Nat King Cole
14. Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps – Doris Day
15. What A Difference A Day Makes – Dinah Washington
16. Summertime – Billie Holiday
17. Fever – Peggy Lee
18. Moondance – Van Morrison
19. Ain’t That A Kick In The Head – Dean Martin
20. “22,” by Taylor Swift
The Wedding Breakfast
The music you choose for your wedding breakfast is usually played quietly and in the background, so it’s really about choosing songs that subconsciously support an atmosphere without guests needing to be particularly aware of what is playing.
The food will always take centre stage during this part of your day, so whether you choose a playlist or live music by an acoustic artist, music will be the support act.
If you did want to opt for something fun and performative, you might consider Singing Waiters. Your guests will be amazed and delighted when their ‘waiter’ suddenly breaks into song!
20 beautiful background songs perfect for a wedding breakfast
1. I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
2. Kiss Me – Sixpence None the Richer
3. You’ve Got the Love – Florence + the Machine
4. Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
5. Baby Love – Nicole Scherzinger
6. Orinoco Flow – Enya
7. Hey There Delilah – Plain White T’s
8. Cannonball – Damien Rice
9. Heartbeats – José González
10. She’s Always A Woman – Billy Joel
11. The Scientist – Coldplay
12. You to Me Are Everything – The Real Thing
13. My Guy – Mary Wells
14. Autumn – Paolo Nutini
15. Do You Remember – Jack Johnson
16. Songbird – Oasis
17. “Ode to Joy” from Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125: Choral) – Beethoven
18. Beating Hearts – King Charles
19. Big Yellow Taxi – Counting Crows & Vanessa Carlton
20. Eyes Wide Open – Gotye
The Evening Reception
It’s party time!
The South Barn at Upwaltham Barns is a brilliant space for turning your reception into a party with live music or a DJ. If you’re looking to hire a band for your evening reception, Nathan from Toast Functions and Lucy from Lemon Entertainment both know the South Barn well and can help you choose the right band for your celebration.
20 romantic first dance songs to kick-start the evening celebrations
1. Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
2. You Are The Best Thing – Ray Montagne
3. At Last – Etta James
4. All of Me – John Legend
5. A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
6. Make You Feel My Love – Adele
7. I Won’t Give Up – Jason Mraz
8. Everything – Michael Buble
9. Better Together – Jack Johnson
10. Amazed – Lonestar
11. Come Away With Me – Norah Jones
12. First Day of My Life – Bright Eyes
13. Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
14. Lucky – Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat
15. Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley
16. Marry Me – Train
17. Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
18. What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
19. Crazy Love – Van Morrison
20. I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
20 party songs to guarantee a full dancefloor
1. Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) – Beyoncé
2. Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams
3. Sweet Child O’ Mine – Guns N’ Roses
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Michael Bublé
5. Dancing in The Moonlight – Toploader
6. On the Floor – Jennifer Lopez
7. Valerie – Amy Winehouse
8. Marry You – Bruno Mars
9. Walking On Sunshine – Katrina & The Waves
10. Come on Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
11. Gimme All Your Lovin – ZZ Top
12. I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
13. 9 to 5 – Dolly Parton
14. Mr. Brightside – The Killers
15. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go – Wham!
16. (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life – Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
17. I’ll Be There for You – The Rembrandts
18. Macarena – Los del Río
19. ‘Rock with You’ by Michael Jackson.
20. “Dancing Queen” by ABBA (1976, Disco)
For the best party atmosphere, we love a band at Upwaltham Barns. Your band will have been rehearsing and gigging for years so will know the songs you and your guests love and are guaranteed to have the dance floor full all night.
Whether you go traditional or think outside of the box when it comes to wedding music, the team at Upwaltham Barns can help advise you on various options and ideas. Visit us today to see how your choice of music would fit our rustic charm.
The heart of the South Downs
Want to know more about weddings at Upwaltham Barns? You can check our available dates, view our gallery or book a visit by using the links below.